What is health?
- Positivity: thinking about how attitude impacts thoughts. Recommended resources: The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale; The Power of Intention by Wayne Dyer, The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler; The Conscious Dying Network
- Meditation and Stress reduction: Transcendental Meditation; Mindfulness; yoga. Recommended resources: Mindfulness Meditation by Jon Kabot Zinn; Transcendental Meditation
- Epidemiology: mental health across time and space. The occurrence and distribution of mental and behavioral conditions (not all "bad"). Recommended resources: , The Happiness Institute, World Health Organization
- Epigenetics: Genetic response to the environment; nature vs nurture. Recommended resources: SciShow episode, Epigenetics and the Influence of our genes
- Interrelations-- energy, quantum physics, and consciousness: Entanglement, holographic duality, string theory, unified field, spirituality. Recommended resources: The Little Book of String Theory by Steven Gubser; NOVA - A Theory of Everything?
- The brain: function; quantum mechanical aspects; lucid dreaming; memory.
Physical Activity: strength, flexibility, endurance. Recommended resource: No Sweat: How the Simple Science of Motivation can Bring You a Lifetime of Fitness, by Michelle Segar.
Nutrition and Diet: food (vegan, vegetarian, organic, pesticide-free, local), supplements. Recommended resource: Cracking the Metabolic Code by James B. LaValle.
Water: structure and quality of water; human body/water.
Integrated Health Care: blending and balancing natural remedies, mind-body connections (Ayurveda); acupuncture; massage; yoga. Recommended resource: Yoga as medicine
Rest and Sleep: levels of sleep, micronapping. Recommended resource: Health Sleep
Self-Sustaining Faith-Based Detox and Rehabilitation Center in Eastern North Carolina
CARTERET COUNTY, NC